February 1, 2011

Foundation interview


Atlanta Georgia's Foundation have a new record coming out April 19 from Bridge 9. It's called When The Smoke Clears and the label says it's "one of the heaviest hardcore records we've put out in years." That get's me very excited. I talked to Foundation's guitarist Andrew to find out more and see what the band's up to.

What can kids expect from the upcoming album?

The same Foundation as they've known, just a little more aggressive I guess. I think the lyrics are the highlight of the record.

What were you guys listening to while writing/ recording the new tracks?

All of us listen to a wide variety of music, but I guess there are some common bands from which we draw influence. Indecision, Buried Alive, Turmoil, Throwdown, and Sepultura are some just to name a few.

How's the Atlanta scene doing? What ATL bands should everybody check out?

Atlanta is awesome! We've always had a pretty strong scene, but it has its ups and downs. There are a good bit of kids coming out to every show right now and it's sweet. Some up and coming Atlanta bands that people should check out are Outcrowd or a band called Bad. Great bands, great dudes.

You're heading to Europe pretty soon, how do you feel about the scene overseas?

We're actually in Europe right now. The Netherlands to be exact. It's very refreshing to see so many kids overseas who are stoked on hardcore. I'm still in disbelief that some people actually know our lyrics over here. It's sweet!

What about the American hardcore scene, what's awesome about it and what needs to change?

Hardcore in America is also sweet. The mosh is a little harder and there's always new bands that are grabbing my attention. A few downsides could be the lack of individuality, or attitudes and closed-mindedness. So many people look, talk, and act the exact same. Makes me wonder what's the difference between some hardcore kids and normals.

What was your first hardcore show and how did it impact you?

Well it wasn't necessarily a hardcore show, but I got to see some pretty sweet bands. Warped Tour in the early 2000's. I got to see Hot Water Music, Shai Hulud, NoFx, Death By Stereo, and a few more bands. I started going to smaller shows after that, but I can't recall the first of them. Some incredible shows that really stood out were American Nightmare/Every Time I Die or Bane/The Promise. I'd never seen anything like it before and knew that it had to become part of my life from then on.

What drew you to hardcore in the beginning?

The intensity of it. I remember being terrified at some of my earlier shows. Then I quickly figured out that these people were angry for a reason and that drew me in even more. I finally found a place that reinforced a lot of feelings and ideas that I had started to develop on my own at the time.

Anything else you'd like to add?

Shout-outs to Well Fed and the Edgewood Goons. Braves in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment