July 13, 2011

Back to Back Records interview


I've never been to Wilkes-Barre, PA but it seems like a hardcore utopia. A short list of bands that have formed in the relatively small city over the last decade include Title Fight, Cold World, Dead End Path, Bad Seed, Stick Together...I could go on and on. Back to Back Records has only put out a handful of releases but they're representing Wilkes-Barre and the rest of the state in a big way (and soon to be taking on the worldwide scene). Instead of a band interview, I thought it'd be cool to get the perspective of the guys who aren't on tour every night but working just as hard to support hardcore. The interview is with Neil, who is one half of Back to Back Records.

Who runs the label and what bands or whatever else would kids know you guys from?

Me and Ned Russin. I live in Philadelphia, Ned lives in WB. We've mainly put out bands from there (Stick Together, Disengage, United Youth), we recently just put out a NOT AFRAID record. A band from Belgium. We have future plans we're working out right now.

How and when did the label start? How difficult was it?

It was Neds idea. I met him when Title Fight stayed at my house a couple of years ago and he told me about it. We had a lot of the same ideas in hardcore so we just decided to do it together. Not hard, just slow. But I'm really happy with everything we've done so far. We've done to where we can have fun, help our friends and help hardcore so I'd say it's not hard.

Why is vinyl awesome and why did you choose to put out some of the releases out on cassette?

Vinyl is awesome because it's just hardcore to me. Raw and different. When I first got into hardcore and found out about collecting vinyl, I thought it was so cool. I used to just search early Rev records on eBay. Hopefully kids will do that for our records one day! Cassettes are also a big part of hardcore. Bands used to put their stuff out on tapes, it's just keeping tradition alive I guess. Plus it's cooler then a blank CD.

The bands on Back to Back are all from Wilkes Barre so far. Are you focused on supporting that city's scene or are you looking to branch to bands from other areas?

Well we did put out a band from Europe. We plan on doing a band from Philadelphia called BEWARE. I'd like to put some Atlanta bands out also because that's where I grew up. Kids in hardcore always look out for each other, so we just started putting out our friends bands that were in a close area. Luckily Wilkes-Barre is on lock right now. I really don't care where the bands from, it was just best to start with our friends bands for the first releases.

On that note, how's the Wilkes-Barre scene doing?

I do not live in Wilkes-Barre, but I am there often. It's awesome. They have a DIY run venue called The Redwood Art Space, owned and ran by hardcore kids. Title Fight, Dead end path, United Youth, Stick Together are all solid bands. The kids there go off for everything. They got something special going on there.

All the bands on Back to Back are straight edge (I think?). What does straight
edge mean to you?


Not True actually! United Youth is not a Straight Edge band.
Straight Edge is a personal choice for me. I'd like to say I would be straight edge even if I never knew about hardcore but I don't think that's true. It's one of the only communities where you are embraced for not abusing. It means a lot to me, but I don't pick and choose my friends by it, I don't think anyone should. I know a lot of people like to have opinions about Straight Edge but it's simple. Do it if it feels right and if it doesn't, don't pretend.

What's next for the label? New records, new bands?
Beware 7", Disengage LP, United Youth record should be out soon. Stick Together NO MORE GAMES repress. Good stuff! Just go to www.backtobackrecords.com to keep up with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment